If you have been looking for the best way to change the WordPress theme without even going live, you have landed on the right page.
First things first, is it really possible to change the theme without getting live? The short answer is YES! And we are going to tell you how on this page.
But before executing the theme changing, you will want to take some precautions first to protect your important data and site.
Consider to get to this checklist to make sure that the things will go well:
- Save your code first: Your current wordpress site might already be integrated with Google Analytics, Sitemap, Search Engine tool, Adsense code, and many other codes. There’s a chance you had added these codes manually or through the automated software. You will want to make a backup of the code first. Usually, you can simply copy it to your note or other medium.
- Check the loading time: the last thing you want is to get the worse new theme with slow loading time. You could check the loading time of your current site so that you can compare it later.
- Back up everything: Backup everything in your wordpress site. You can use the Free wordpress plugin or tool to backup all of the files.
- Make an announcement: Install SeedProd plugin to set up Maintenance mood in your website. Let your audience know that your site is under construction.
How to change your WordPress Theme without Going Live?
There are three solutions that we are going to share:
1) Live demo, 2) live Preview, 3) Theme Switcha Plugin
Live Demo is the live demonstration of the theme that you are going to apply for your website.
In this case, you don’t need to install any theme on your website. You can see the demo version of the theme from the provider’s site.
Live Demo option is hosted by the creator of the wordpress theme. So, you can either check through WordPress platform or the third party official site.
Live Preview is the standard feature of WordPress. Without even installing any plugin, you should be able to see the new theme without going live.
Hover to Appearance and select Theme. Then you will see the Installed theme in your website.
Then browse around the theme and see the Theme you will want to check. Then click the “Live Preview” button. There you have it!
Theme Switcha Plugin
Theme Switcha plugin is the useful plugin which can help you to see the live demo without even going live.
It is a free option.
- All you need to do is to download and install it from the WordPress Admin panel.
- Activate the plugin, and you are good to go.
- Go to the Theme Switcha Plugin’s settings options and tick “Enable Switching option” box to activate the plugin main feature.
- Then click save to apply the setting.
The good thing here is that after activating the particular plugin, you just need to browse around the theme to see the live demo without going live.